Monday, October 24, 2011

The End

The End


The city was alive with panic. It was almost humors to me in the darkest sense of the word. Removing the stability, the routine, the false sense of safety we all believed in. removal cause complete and utter chaos, Social anarchy. We were all going to die regardless. The sirens where just a useless warning of our impeding trip to the grave. We couldn’t escape the blast radius. Not with how little time we had, but that didn’t stop the hordes of people from flooding the streets in a desperate attempt to escape the urban jungle. Literally clawing over top one another like animals. No regard for anyone other than their own blood. Which was again humorous for we all have the same blood. Yet we make distinctions. Caring more for our own families than other people, justifiable selfishness.


Few religious devote praying in the streets, pleading with their gods for salvation. But god didn’t cause this tragedy.it was man with all his science and knowledge man chose to destroy itself. The few at the top decided obliterating each other was more important than losing their power. They blamed the possible evil of foreign powers to justify acting evilly themselves, and their flawed logic was to be the end of us all.


Sitting atop the skyscraper ensure me a front row seat to the carnage. But it wasn’t the carnage I came to see. It was life, because in those final moments I could see what everyone had lived for. Those praying to god had lived for religion. Desperately trying to appease the divine forces so that they may be granted life after death. Those trying to save their own kin amongst the chaos had lived for their family, so that their lineage would be carried on. Those desperately trying to flee to safety alone lived in fear of death. Doing everything they could to escape it. Those who decided one last act of intoxication or sexual acts was the best way to go out, they lived for pleasure so that their memories would live on joyously in their mind. And me? I lived for nothing, so death has nothing to take.


I was simply a watcher. My life’s purpose was examination. Silently watching, calculating, seeking to understand humanity and life in its purest form, and I got exactly what I wanted. The rawest display of why people live. Only the fleeting moments of life and the introduction of death could craft such a pure cinematic. The splitting of an insignificant atom would incinerate us all, and everything we lived for with it. Only ashy silhouettes would remain.

2 comments:

  1. All I know is that I'd like to go out fucking drunk and well.... Been sober for 90 days and it's BORING!! :)

    Very well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice Ryan. This strikes a chord in me. I've often imagined the chaos that would come from a catastrophe like this. Everyone would abandon their masks and walls they hide behind everyday and true character would emerge.It makes me wonder how I would react. Would I be one of the few who could find peace in that moment or would I panic and desperately try and justify the life I've lived? Maybe someday I'll find out. although a drink would probably be needed in the situation regardless

    ReplyDelete